Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Let Freedom (and fashion) Ring.

This past Sunday, our wonderful, beautiful nation celebrated its independence. The 4th of July is a time to celebrate freedom, spend time with your family and…dress like a complete insane person. Ok, I’m all for sporting the patriotic look (although, I haven’t been able to find a red, white and blue combo that doesn’t make me look like a 5 year old), but some of the outfits that people sport on Independence Day are embarrassing. The freaks come out. it’s more the LACK of clothing that really gets me. I’m sorry…just because a holiday falls in the middle of summer does NOT mean that you don’t have to wear pants. Or that you don’t have to wear anything but shorts and a bikini top. Unless, of course, I’m out of the loop and that became acceptable.

In other news, this weekend was full of sleep, television, watermelon with salt, and more sleep. Sidenote: my new addiction is watermelon with salt on it-No joke, I have recently given the watermelon industry a serious boost. Anyways, my little brother got to go visit my family that lives in Florida, so that left me at home with my parents and, of course, the poodle. It was a treat. And not having to work yesterday was literally Christmas in July.

Next: Ok, I know that fashion holds a completely different calendar than what we have in our minds. When it’s 108 degrees outside, you would expect to be able to go into any store and find a perfectly respectable SUMMER outfit, right? Wrong. I’m sorry, but this is something that I cannot stand about the fashion industry. I am in desperate need of a new swimsuit, so I thought to myself, self, go grab a new one at the mall. No prob. Um…wool, tweed and cashmere seemed to be the only things available. At this point in the summer, putting any of those fabrics on my body would be like jumping into fire. Even one of my favorites, Target, had placed all of the swimsuits that they had left (which was a limited selection, to say the least) in the very back of the store. I understand that there is this whole big, glamorous story behind this, but come on. It’s not even August—I’m not ready to preview Fall and Winter fashions just yet…

I will admit, however, that after browsing Saks, Nordstrom, and Neiman Marcus online, the clothes for Fall are looking quite promising. Similar to last fall, if I may be so bold, but Fall 2010 features more neutrals than last year. The same shapes are still seen –skinny pants, as well as wide legged, and still a lot of big, oversize, geometric tops –and masculine is still meeting feminine in the middle. Of course, this year does come along with some completely new, never-before-seen looks as well as new hair, make-up, and accessories to compliment them perfectly. Of all of the runway looks I have seen so far, a majority of designers look to be going for the “fresh-faced, no make-up” make-up thing. The smokey eye and pale lip combo is still pretty dominant (Chanel, Zac Posen) as well as pale eyes and berry-stained lips –according to Allure.com.

Lastly (this announcement makes me want to get up and run in place for a second) I only have 8 more days of work ('ll let you come to your own conclusion on how i feel about that...) Only 8 more little days filled with...fun office activities...

More tomorrow, lovelies.

No comments:

Post a Comment